Do You Need A Change?

The terms of your child support, child custody, and alimony agreements are not written in stone. Nevada courts recognize that people’s lives change and, when they do, their court-ordered support and custody agreements may need to be altered.

For divorced couples and parents who were never married, if you have experienced a significant change in circumstances since your divorce, you may be eligible to file for a modification of existing court orders.

Parents who were never married can also file for modifications. The attorneys at the Bellon Law Group in Las Vegas can help you petition the court for a modification.

With regard to child support, you have a right to seek a modification of a court order every three years — more frequently if circumstances have changed significantly since the original order or last modification.

If you have a timely and good enough reason, you can request a modification on most anything the court orders, including financial support, visitation, holiday schedules and vacation schedules. Good reasons can include the loss of a job, a significant increase in the salary of the support-paying party, a move out of the region or out of state, a remarriage, or the birth of additional children.

Support Modifications Are Only Retroactive to the Date of Filing

If you lost your job last January but didn’t file a petition to reduce your child support payment until June 1, you will continue to owe the original amount of child support for the months of January-May.

Whether you are in the military and stationed overseas, or even in prison, court orders remain in effect until you file a petition for a modification. Do not rely on an informal agreement with the other party. It probably won’t hold up in court

If you need a modification of an existing court order, contact the Bellon Law Group by calling 702-452-6299 or e-mail the firm to arrange a consultation about your child custody and support concerns.