Children and Divorce: The Most Important Issues

Your children will always be your children, whether or not you are married to or live with their other parent. Nevada courts expect parents to contribute to their children’s financial, physical and emotional needs regardless of the parents’ marital status.

The family law attorneys of the Bellon Law Group in Las Vegas provide compassionate and effective legal services to parents who are divorcing as well as to those who were never married to their children’s other parent. They can help you navigate all the legal issues involving children, including child custody and support, visitation, paternity, and relocation.

Legal Custody

As long as both parents are competent, they will most likely be awarded joint legal custody of their children. This gives them both the right to make important decisions about their child’s education, health care, and religious upbringing. Both maintain access to school records and can receive health information from any and all medical providers.

Physical Custody

Physical custody, which determines where the child lives, comes in various forms. Primary physical custody means the child lives the majority of time with one parent and the other parent has a schedule for visitation or parenting time.

Joint physical custody means the child’s time is split 50-50 between the two parents’ households. A relatively new category, called joint but unequal custody, refers to a time-share arrangement that is close to, but not exactly, an equal custody arrangement. Four days with one parent and three with the other would be considered an example of joint but unequal custody.

The child custody and support lawyers at the Bellon Law Group will help you negotiate, mediate or litigate an arrangement that works for you and your family.

Child Support

The amount of child support you will pay or receive is determined to a great extent by your physical custody arrangement and the correlating formula or case law. The calculation is based on the number of children you have and your gross monthly income. The Bellon Law Group can help you determine what you should pay or receive in child support. They also can represent you if child support needs to be modified after the divorce, due to a significant loss or gain in income, or a change in your custody status.

If you need a lawyer who has the strength, compassion, and experience to get results for you and your children, contact the experienced attorneys at the Bellon Law Group by calling 702-452-6299 or e-mail the firm to arrange a consultation about your child custody and support concerns